Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

The Most Scared I've Ever Been...and a Song to Help Me Sleep

So today was just pretty much a normal day until around 6:00. Let me say right off that Reagan's fine, no harm was done. I was on the computer and Reagan was playing in the hall. I heard her get into my closet and start tearing it apart. "Oh well. Let her have at it," I thought. Then after a couple of minutes I heard tissue paper rattling. She'd gotten into some of my old pageant shoes and the shoes I'd gotten for my wedding. Then I remembered those boxes had silica gel packs in them. You know, those little paper things with the balls in them that are always in the boxes. The ones that clearly say DO NOT EAT. I jumped up and ran back there and of course there was a pack in her mouth and she was chewing it. I grabbed her, scooped it out of her mouth (which she hated), then came running in the kitchen for the phone book. I frantically threw stuff trying to find it. I called poison control thinking my child was going to die of poisoning and it would be all my fault. When someone answered and I told them what she did they immediately said, "She's going to be fine." Whew...then they got some information from me and told me basically all that's in those things is sand and the big worry is a child choking on them. I was told just to give her something to drink and make sure she wasn't coughing a lot or choking. As soon as I hung up the phone I started bawling. I felt like such a bad mother. The guilt mixed with the relief and I lost it. Reagan was looking at me like I was crazy. I called Justin and he told me it was ok, everything was fine. Reagan actually started laughing at me. I guess I sounded crazy or something. I really thought she was going to die or something and then once it was ok and the adrenaline rush was gone it all hit me. I just kept holding her and telling her I was sorry. Like she knew what was going on. She was just mad I took yet another thing out of her mouth. I don't think she even swallowed any of it. It looked like the little balls were all still in the pack but she had dissolved the paper around the pack. It's hard to explain...Note to self: move shoe boxes to the shelf.

On a happier note...
The top two teeth are coming in!
One is completely through the gum, but not all the way in and the other is still coming through some. She's been much better with these than she was with the bottom two.

Today I put her hair in pigtails for the first time.
I'm not sure I like it because it makes her look like a kid instead of a baby! (sniff, sniff) She won't keep clips in her hair (she pulls them right out) and I needed a way to keep her hair out of her eyes. These seemed to work out pretty well. She only tried to pull one out once. I think because she can't feel them as much she forgets about them.

She's getting so big!

-------------------------------------------------
Day 10 of 30 Days of Music: A song that makes you fall asleep

I don't like to sleep with noise(other than a fan), so nothing really makes me fall asleep. But there are songs that are relaxing or could make me sleepy riding in the car at night. I picked Amie by Damien Rice. I love all the stings in his music and I love his voice and the voice of the girl that sings with him, Lisa Hannigan. I really like his sound. I think this song has kind of a dreamy feel to it.


1 comment:

  1. Oooh I didn't even think of Damien Rice! Good choice!

    Oh Micah, don't feel bad. We have all done things like that and had freak-out sessions. I wonder what kids are thinking when Mommy is crying because I was crying before and Benjamin just laughed in my face! ha! I am glad all is well and it's good to know those things aren't poisonous!

    She is getting so big and you're right - those pigtails make her look bigger! So take those off and let her crazy hair go free! hehe. She is such a dollbaby!

    ReplyDelete