Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

My Husband the Chef!

As you know, my birthday was the 13th. This is what I woke up to that morning. My sweet baby and husband brought me this cake in bed! :) Justin always makes this cake for my birthday. It's a chocolate cake with chocolate icing. The recipe is the one on the back of a Hershey's cocoa box. It is sooooo good!
The next night he cooked me my birthday dinner. We waited until Thursday night since the 13th was on Wednesday and that's a church night. The house smelled so good while he was cooking! I love smell of onion and garlic cooking...makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

We had steaks, twice baked potatoes, and cheddar bay biscuits (like the ones at Red Lobster).
But the best part was the lobster spinach queso. Well, actually, it was crab spinach queso since our walmart didn't have any lobster meat, but it was delicious!!! We first discovered lobster spinach queso at Firebird's in Memphis. There was one in the mall behind our apartment. We would go there and just get the queso because everything else was too expensive and the queso could fill us up. It is one of my favorite foods, but we never get to have it because we don't have a Firebird's anywhere near us. Justin tried to make it for me on Valentine's a couple of years ago, but it didn't taste quite the same. He looked around for another recipe and found one that tastes exactly like it!!!! I'm so excited because now I can have the queso any time! (Not that I need it. It's not the healthiest thing in the world.)



Firebird's Lobster Spinach Queso Dip

FIREBIRD'S LOBSTER SPINACH QUESO DIP
INGREDIENTS:
1/4 CUP CANOLA OIL
1/4 CUP GARLIC/SHALLOT MIX
3/4 POUND CREAM CHEESE
1/2 BAG SPINACH
1 TABLESPOON SHRIMP BASE
1 CAN TOMATO SOUP
1 1/2 CUP HEAVY CREAM
2 CUPS PEPPER JACK CHEESE
1/2 POUND LOBSTER
DIRECTIONS:CHOP SPINACH AND LOBSTER. SAUTE IN CANOLA OIL GARLIC/SHALLOT MIX UNTIL SOFT. ADD CREAM CHEESE, TOMATO SAUCE, CREAM AND JACK CHEESE AND SHRIMP BASE. MELT CHEESE AND WHISK TOGETHER UNTIL BLENDED. ADD LOBSTER AND SPINACH. SIMMER ABOUT 15 MINUTES UNTIL HEATED THROUGH.

My tips: They didn't have any good looking shallots the day he made it so he just used onion and tasted the same. Also, he couldn't find shrimp base so that was left off. Instead of using 1 1/2 cups of cream he only used 1/2 cup so it wouldn't be as heavy. Even with these changes it tasted exactly like what you get in the restaurant!
Thanks, babe, for such a great birthday dinner!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, twice baked potatoes! SO good!

    I'm not a fan of seafood, but if you just keep the spinach in the queso, that sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to give this recipe a try! It sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ingredients call for tomato soup, but the directions state to add tomato sauce. Which did you use, tomato soup or tomato sauce? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m making this today, fingers crossed it turns out good.

    ReplyDelete