Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I Threw It on the Ground!

Well, just dropped it actually. (The title is a shout out to my hubby's favorite Andy Samberg video on YouTube. Hilarious.) Friday night we invited some friends to come over for dinner. I had prepped the hash brown casserole and had it cooking in the oven. I got together all the ingredients for the bacon cheeseburger meatloaf (yum). Now, to properly mix and form a meatloaf you just have to stick you hands right down in it. I got my hands all nasty and mushed everything together. I picked the bowl up with my forearms since my hands were covered in raw meat and took it over to where the loaf pan was waiting. As I tried to set the bowl on the counter, it missed... and fell... upside down... on the floor. I yelled, "You've got to be kidding me!!!!" Hubby said he immediately knew I had dropped it. (I'm a wee bit clumsy, so this kind of thing is not so very out of the ordinary.) He asked what all he needed to go buy so I could make it again, but by this time it was already 7 and the meatloaf takes around an hour to cook, so I told him just to order pizza. Our menu for dinner was left over lobster spinach queso, hash brown casserole, and domino's.

As requested by Kristen, here is the recipe for the Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf (minus the dropping it on the floor step). It is a Paula Deen recipe and you can find it on her web site, http://www.pauladeen.com/, as well.

Ingredients:
1 pound ground chuck

10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 (8-ounce) package sharp Cheddar, grated
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup bread crumbs, toasted
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup ketchup 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
1 (3-ounce) can French fried onions

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck and next 8 ingredients, mixing well.
In a small bowl, combine the ketchup and mustard. Stir 1/4 cup ketchup mixture into meat mixture, reserving remaining ketchup mixture.
Press meat mixture into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, or shape into a loaf and place on a rack in a broiler pan. Spread remaining ketchup mixture over loaf. Bake 40 minutes. Top with French fried onions; bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.


We use the lean ground beef and low sodium bacon.

1 comment: