Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Look What You Can Make With String!

When I was in college, I asked my grandmother to teach me how to crochet. Ever since then I have loved doing it. It's become the hobby I spend the most time doing. Even when I don't have someone specific in mind to make something for I will make scarves with left over yarn, just to have something to crochet. My first few attempts at projects did not go so well. As a matter of fact, I never did finish my first one. I would work on it for weeks then rip the whole thing out over and over. Eventually, I didn't even want what I was working on anymore so I decided I should just move on to another project. The next project was a blanket for Justin. I honestly think I worked on it for over two years. I finished it, but in the end it was a little odd and not so pretty. I like to think I've improved since then. :) Here are some of the projects I've done in the past.

I made this for my bff from high school, Tristan, when she got married.

This one was for Justin's sister Keila when she got married.


Blanket I made for Reagan.

Scarf I made with leftovers.
Another scarf from leftovers.
My current project. I'm making a blanket for Justin's sister Meeka for her wedding present. (Don't worry, she already knows. When we gave Keila hers, Meeka said she wanted one and I told her she had to get engaged first. She requested pink and brown.)
In case you can't tell, I love to do blocks. I get my block patterns from 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton. Occasionally I make a few changes to them, like taking off rounds to make it smaller. The book also has really clear, easy to follow instructions on the different types of stitches.
Justin says I should make blankets from the blocks and sell them. I would love to do that, but it usually takes a good deal of yarn and a lot of time (around 1 hour per block). I don't know that anyone would be willing to pay the amount it would take to cover the yarn and enough to make it worth my while. Plus, having a baby means I wouldn't be able to guarantee when it would get done. I'm lucky if I can do one square a day. I usually try to take the hour from 4pm to 5pm to watch Gilmore Girls and crochet. It doesn't always work out, but it's always nice when it does.
Do you crochet? What crafty things are you into?

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful blankets and scarves! I do scrapbooking and card making. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I crochet but I am not nearly that good. You're going to have to teach me some skills sometime! Those are all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that scarf! It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete