Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chicken Fajita Soup...Yum!

I posted on facebook that I made this for supper and had a recipe request. This stuff is soooooo good! We are supposed to be snowed in tomorrow (I'll believe that when I get up and see the ground covered) so I thought it would keep us warm! I also made pepper jack corn cakes to go with it. To make those, all you do is mix up some Jiffy according to package directions, add some pepper jack, and cook it on a griddle like pancakes. If I had anymore room in my stomach I would go eat more right now!

Chicken Fajita Soup

makes about 5 quarts

3 tbs olive oil
3 lbs boneless skinless, chicken breasts, sliced into 2x1/2 inch strips
2 tbs minced garlic
1 ½ tsp salt, divided
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 large yellow onions, sliced into ¼ inch strips
2 large red bell peppers, sliced into ¼ inch strips
2 large green bell peppers, sliced into ¼ inch strips
2 large yellow bell peppers, sliced into ¼ inch strips
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
3 quarts chicken broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 ½ tbs ground cumin
1 ½ tbs ground coriander
1 ½ tbs chili powder
1 ½ tsp fresh lime zest
garnish: lime slices

In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, garlic, 1 tsp salt, and pepper; cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned. Add onions, bell peppers, and jalapeno peppers; cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, coriander, chili powder, lime zest, and remaining ½ tsp salt, stirring to combine. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Garnish with lime slices, if desired.

We also like to put pepper jack cheese in ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment